- Apply ice to shoulder for 15-20 minutes several times daily.
- Elevate your Head and Shoulder for comfort and to decrease swelling.
- Wear your sling for 6 weeks. It may be removed to shower, dress and exercise.
- No driving for 4 weeks.
- Do not lift anything with the operative arm heavier than a bottle of water for 6 weeks.
- Do not put weight or lean on the affected arm.
- Do not sleep on affected shoulder until approved by your surgeon.
- You may shower with the Aquacel dressing in place.
- Remove Aquacel dressing after 7 days.
- Staples are removed 12-16 days after surgery in the office.
- Review your discharge paper work regarding your medication regimen.
- Take your pain medicine as prescribed.
- Be aware that pain medication can cause constipation so take measures to prevent this from occurring.
- Perform exercises daily as instructed by the therapist and ice after exercise.
- It is important to attend physical therapy in order to obtain adequate motion and strength after surgery.
- You will need to continue your exercises for 3 months after surgery.
- You may have some pain after or during exercise, but this should resolve and/or improve.
When to call your Surgeon:
- Temperature above 101 degrees for at least 12 hours.
- Increasing redness, swelling, drainage of foul odor from the incision.
- Increasing pain not relieved by medication, elevation and ice.
- Numbness and tingling of hand that does not improve with position change.